Saturday, January 9, 2010

It's Heeere...

2010.  I remember when I couldn't imagine what the world would be like when 1984 rolled around--Would Orwell's vision come true?  In 1984 I was living in San Francisco in the Marina, right where the 1989 earthquake brought down many of the buildings around me.  I walked to work 8 blocks away on Lombard--often hung over, but my noon, I would get out and jog around the Marina Green.  My office was in an old Victorian in the kitchen.  I had an Apple II and used Visicalc as a spreadsheet.  Now I have a Blackberry and am connected 24/7.  In the 1980s, many old NY friends lived in San Francisco at one time or another.  Kate Riley, a variety of McGoverns (Kevin and Patty, Phil and Lori, Annie, Tommy, Seamus, Joanie) and several Prospect Park renegades that would pass in and out of Patty and Kevin's place out by the Cliff House, just about all the Benzigers, Zach Cartozian and Janet Whalen, Jimmy McLaughlin, Dennis Reardon, Mike Doyle, and probably another dozen that I am forgetting.  Joanie McGovern, Zack and Janet, Dennis Reardon, and the Benziger wine empire are all that's left in SF.  I moved to So. California in 1993, and have now lived in California longer than I lived in New York--31 years!  I still feel my home is New York. 2010...the walk through memory lane begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment