Saturday, November 5, 2011

Joan McGovern

Joan McGovern passed away this week. I visited her in September when I was in White Plains. I knew it would be the last time I would see her. She seemed half way to heaven at the time--neither with me, nor with God, but thinking about it. She was probably still thinking about all things she still wanted to do. Kate Riley was with me. Phil and Joannie were taking care of her, then Kevin and Mary came by. I was struck by how much love she exuded and drew to her and how many thousands of lives she touched so deeply. Certainly mine. She always made me feel welcomed in her presence, would come and join us for dinner when I visited town, cared about my family and my son. Her love was endless. Joan, in her later years, could be a little crusty at times, but you always knew where she stood, and I liked that. I liked everything about her. And what a family. I was Terry's age, so he was my key bond, but I love them all. Christmas and Thanksgiving nights at the McGoverns was always an event, so much laughter and love. But I loved the quiet times the best, if there could ever be a quiet time in a McGovern house. Sitting at the kitchen table, talking about whatever. She and Dodie were like second mothers to me, and I always felt I could tell them anything. I miss them both but I am better for having known and loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment